Should we buy stock based on the possibility of the Koreas unifying? Should we bet on Ceonji lake on Mount Baekdu being the next Lake Tahoe? Regardless, these are the results of the recent summit.
President Roh Moo-hyun (South Korea) and Chairman Kim Jong-il (North Korea) just agreed to the following:
- The 2 countries are going to continue off the previous June 15 Joint Declaration for “the spirit of our own initiative”, and through the primacy of Korean people’s dignity and interests.
- The South and the North will transcent differences in ideology and institutions, thereby transforming inter-Korean relations into one of mutual respect and trust.
- The South and the North will closely cooperate in order to terminate military hostilities, ease tension and ensure peace on the Korean peninsula.
- The South and the North share the wish to terminate the existing armistic regime and to build a permanent peace regime.
- The South and the North will actively promote, expand and develop economic cooperation projects for balanced development of national economy and common prosperity on the principles of common interest and prosperity.
- The South and the North will develop exchanges and cooperation in the fields of history, linguistics, education, science and technology, culture and arts, and sports in order to cherish the long history and proud culture of the Korean people.
- The South and the North will actively promote humanitarian cooperative projects.
- The South and the North will strengthen cooperation for the interest of the Korean nation, and the rights and interests of overseas Korean nationals in the international arena.