For UK Citizens who are teaching in Korea, the British Embassy wrote this:

Add this blog to your favorites:
add to :: Add to Blinkslist :: add to furl :: Digg it :: add to ma.gnolia :: Stumble It! :: add to simpy :: seed the vine :: :: :: TailRank

Posted originally here:



On 15 December the Ministry of Justice will make changes to the immigration rules which will effect those in Korea in teaching positions on E2 visas and those planning to work in Korea as teachers on E2 visas. On 10 December the British Embassy were called to a meeting hosted by the Ministry of Justice to outline the changes to the Korean immigration rules.

We have been told by the Ministry of Justice that Korean Embassies overseas were informed of the changes to the immigration rules on 19 November. Anyone planning to come to Korea and work as a teacher should contact their nearest Korean Embassy to find out how these changes will affect them. The website for the Korean Embassy in London can be found at

All enquiries about the immigration rule changes should be referred to the Ministry of Justice. The Ministry of Justice website can be found at

For those already in Korea we have been told that when you need to apply for a visa extension, renewal or when switching employers you will need to provide a criminal check completed in the UK and a health check completed in Korea.

The attached scanned leaflet provided by the Ministry of Justice provides more information.

The British police do not issue “certificates of good conduct” or “police clearance certificates”. However you can request a police reply under the subject access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 as a suitable equivalent. The Korean authorities would find this acceptable.

It is possible for British Citizens living in Korea to make this request to their local police authority from outside the UK

You do not have to have been living in the UK before making this request.

The reply from the British police has no expiry date as it covers the time up to the request was made.

We understand that the request and reply take around 40 days to complete. The reply will be sent to you by post only and will not be sent by either email or fax. You can only make the request via the British police – the British Embassy cannot facilitate this for you.

The Metropolitan Police website has further information on obtaining a police reply under the subject access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. Click here: for step by step instructions on how to make this request. Similar requests can be made to other police forces in the United Kingdom. For a list of Police Forces in the UK including contact details, click here:

Once you have your police check this will need to be notarised by the Consular section of the British Embassy.

British Embassy
Taepyungro 40
4 Jeong-dong
Tel:+82 (2) 3210 5500

Degree certificates will also need to be verified to prove their authenticity. This applies to applicants both in Korea and applying in the UK. This can be done by your employer. They will need to contact the Korean Accreditation Agency who will carry out the necessary checks. In order for them to be able to do this you will need to provide a signed letter of consent to your employer. Failure to complete these checks may result in your visa being denied.

For applicants in the UK the result will be sent directly to the Korean Embassy.

Consular Section
British Embassy
11 December 2007


Filed under Advice, Communications, Education, ESL, Expat, Immigration, Jobs, Korea life

4 responses to “For UK Citizens who are teaching in Korea, the British Embassy wrote this:

  1. Alex

    Does anyone have any idea what exactly Korean immigration will be looking for on these CRB checks (apart from the obvious, of course)? I have a police caution for ‘common assault’ in the UK achieved as a result of a fight in a nightclub a year or so ago. Will I now be ejected from the country? Will the wording of the criminal check go further than ‘common assault’? I am sure there are others in my situation but there seems to be nothing on the internet and my agent is useless….

  2. To answer your question Alex, it probably depends on whoever reads your criminal background report. Keep in mind that Korea is a very emotion based country and not so much a legal or rational based country. So if the Korean who is reading it doesn’t mind that you have that on your record he will let it pass. If for some reason he doesn’t like you, he might use that as an excuse not to let you in.

  3. evelyn curry

    I have a crb check dated Feb 2009. Is this still valid to teach in Korea in Spet 2010?

  4. Dominic

    I have a conviction for 2 very minor offences, breach of peace and reset. It happened 4 years ago and its behind me now. I am not sure if this will affect my application for a visa. does anyone know about how they deal with this?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s