From the Immigration website of the South Korean Gov’t. The following is from a document in the Korean Word Processing software Hangul.
December 10th, 2007
Residence Policy Division, Korea Immigration Service
New Changes on the E2 Teaching Visa Holders in Korea
1. Background of the Changed Program
1) Serious social outcry the unqualified E2 teaching visa holders
– Some E2 teaching visa holders in Korea were caught for fraudulent diplomas, drugs, sexual offenses, etc.
– News media coverage about those unqualified E2 teaching visa holders.
For example, Mr. Christopher Paul Neil, the serial child sex offender, was reported by KBS on Oct.17th, 2007 and the
report came out about the holders of fraudulent diplomas, drug using, etc. on September 5th, 2007.
2) In order to protect children and young students from those criminal offenders and fraudulent diploma holders, a strong need to counter these problems.
2. The Classification of E2 Teaching Visa Holders in Korea
3. Details of the Changes to be Introduced
<1> Criminal Background Report
a) Submission of Criminal Background Report
– Those E2 teaching visa holders, who are already in Korea, need to submit their criminal background report when
applying for the extension of their residence in Korea.
– Those who are newly applying for E2 teaching visa need to submit their criminal background report to the
Immigration Office in Korea.
b) Method of Submitting criminal background report.
– By contacting the federal government or state government agency or the respective embassy of the E2 visa holders(or
– By submitting Apostille confirmed documents
– If one is from those countries which did not join the
Apostille Agreement, he may have his documents certified by the Korean Embassy in his country.
a) Submission of Health Certificate
– Those E2 teaching visa holders, who are already in Korea, need to submit their health certificate when applying for
the extension of their residence in Korea.
– Those who are newly applying for E2 teaching visa need to submit their health certificate when applying for alien
registration to the Immigration Office in Korea.
b) Method of Submitting Health Certificate
– By going to National or privately-run hospitals and/or public health centers.
– The following items must be included in the health certificate
– TBPE diagnosis or cannabinoid test about drug use
– HIV test
4. Interview in Korea Embassy or Consulate.
– Those who are newly applying for E2 visa teaching need to be interview at their nearest korean embassy or consulate in their country.